Living life and figuring it out, one little piece at a time

Thursday 14 April 2011

A salute to the M.E.P.

Ah, how my life revolves around school these days!  Today was our last day of my favourite class, Working Across Difference.  This class has changed my life.  It sharpened the way that I look at the world, and gave me a much broader picture of what "difference" means.  I found myself, throughout this year, having moments where I thought my brain was literally vibrating from how much it had to shift to accomodate the new understandings I was coming toward! For any prospective interviewees who are preparing for their interviews this very weekend, this class is a rare treat and a very special space.  Take it as an incredible opportunity to learn about your classmates and future colleagues as you all learn together about very similar differences between yourselves and your clients. 

We ended this class with a juicy hour where everyone went around the room and talked about what they got from this course - another opportunity for me to learn more about these wonderful women.  I'm in awe today, as I was the day I got "the phone call" that I was lucky enough to make it into the ranks among such a dynamic group.

But now, I'm a bit sad.  Thursdays were the highlight of my week - a break from the everyday schooling, where we could open ourselves up to eachothers (and our own) feelings and thoughts on some difficult issues and grow in directions that were not just academic. We won't get that same kind of opportunity in any other class in the future, so I'm grieving this being over.  I wonder if the end of every year will be so bittersweet. 

On a positive note, one presentation and three exams left in the next 6 days until I can......get started on the next ones!  Hah!  It never ends.  But I like it that way. 

2 comments:

  1. A great summary of our last day of class Melissa. Good luck on your exams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete