Living life and figuring it out, one little piece at a time

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Over the first year hump

It is all downhill from here....
The "big, gigantic paper" is out and will be posted when it's been graded (in case I made any huge, gaping mistakes!)

I was reflecting on all that we've accomplished this year as first year midwifery students.  What an incredible journey this year has been!  I can't say  I've learned more in any other time in my life, save perhaps my first year of parenting, and maybe my first year of life! 

My eyes have been opened to a great and wondrous world, and to some incredible, supportive, intelligent and thought-provoking people with whom I am lucky enough to call colleagues.  When I see or hear the excitement or anxiety from those interested in coming into the program, I remember how very lucky I was to have been given this opportunity.  I would change nothing about this direction I'm moving in.  I'm looking forward to meeting with a couple of interviewees for Ryerson's MEP program next Monday afternoon.  If anyone else is interested please let me know and I'll share details.

I aso thought to reflect on how much we've accomplished in this first year.  Perhaps partly to show myself how much I've done.  Perhaps also to give a realistic view to anyone entering the program how much the workload is if you're like me, and have never been in post-secondary school before.

In this first year, by April 21st, I (as most of my classmates) will have completed:

9x 500 word critical reflections
1x 20 page paper
1x 2000 word literature review
2x 2000 word paper
1x 1500 word paper
5x lab reports
2x article analysis
6x participation communication posts
2x nutrition/physical activity assignments
4x concept maps
3x presentations
1x question/answer assignment
6x midterm exam
6x final exam
And (a rough but attempted to be accurate estimate) about 3500 pages of readings!!

Pat on our backs, girls!! That's quite a list!!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing, I felt the excitement and stresses that you must have gone through in this first year! I am actually one of the girls meeting with Yelena on that Monday. What a coincidence I saw your facebook page through my sister-in-law Jennifer Bolzicco. I am so excited to go for the interview on the 15th. I, like you, love the direction I am heading in. I just hope that I will be given the same opportunity and become an MEP student this September! Who knows, we may see each other around campus next year :)

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go figure!! I saw your name on the Yahoogroup and wondered if there was a relationship! I hope the interviews go well! They really are such patient people that it makes the whole process easier :)

    ReplyDelete