Living life and figuring it out, one little piece at a time

Tuesday 8 January 2013

That damn placement lottery

Have you ever wondered what it is like for your life to be entirely ruled by something that is completely out of your hands?  To have little idea about any of the details of your life to come?  To wonder how you're going to deal the uncertainty of moving to a new community (whether or not its one that your family is okay with), finding new daycare, finding a new school, a new home...?

These thoughts consume me so much.  The placement lottery.  I thought I worried about it a lot in second year!  Maybe the memory has just faded a bit.  I got my first choice for that placement, so what is there to worry about, right? 

There's a lot, actually.  That placement was incredibly valuable, but it was too far away and I know I can't do another placement at that distance again. Actually, there's only one midwifery practice within 20 minutes of my home, which means for us that our whole family moves if I don't get the placement.  We move from the same space of land that my husband and I fell in love on.  The same one that my son was born on.  The same community that we've spent the last 10 years in.  The same school that my daughter's been going to for four years now.  I like change, and I could use a bigger home, but I really don't want to leave my home town.  It hurts thinking about it.  But I know the chances are big that we'll have to, since I dont even know if that one midwifery practice is going to be taking students at all, let alone that I'd land up as the lucky one to get it. 

And so, I sit and wait, and try not to think about it as much as possible.  In about 6 weeks, we'll know.  And I'll have a couple of months wokring out the details of how we'll move out of the only life we've ever known together.  (Or a couple of months to celebrate!)  Hopefully, though, I'll be celebrating anyway.  After all, wherever we're going is clearly where we're meant to be.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thank you very much for sharing your information on the program. There are not that much info anywhere online about what is actually going on in the program and your blog is giving me just the right guidance to the program. If you don't mind me asking further, I'm actually getting ready for my application for midwifery at ryerson, so I have some admission questions in general. I have a degree in Science and have between 3.0 - 3.3 GPA on my best 10 credits, but I have no idea how competitive the program is and how much is actually good enough (on both academic/grades and non-academic/ interview, personal statement parts). If you feel comfortable answering, would you reach me through my email (in_the_secret@hotmail.com)? Again, thanks for sharing your information :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that I just see these things now, so late after you've probably gone through this application process! Unfortunately it's been almost 5 years since my application to the program and I don't remember a lot of the details anymore (and the ones I do remember have probably changed over those 5 years!) I'd strongly suggest that folks who are interested in talking to others going through or recently have gone through the admissions process should check out the Facebook Canadian Midwifery Student Hopefuls page - this is where students and student hopefuls gather together to ask/answer questions and share support. https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/472045729491365/

    ReplyDelete